Monday, June 18, 2007

The Great Gatsby

"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter- tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arm farther...And one fine morning-
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

this passage, no matter how many times I have read it, has always made me feel the same way. It encourages me to keep stretching and reaching for my dreams. Even though Gatsby didn't achieve his dreams, I believe that I can get what I hope for. I think that the problem with a lot of dreamers is that they reach for things and then don't realize what they have once they have it. They keep wanting more. Keep reaching for more. All Gatsby knew in his life was his want for something- someone. I wonder what would have happened had Gatsby gotten to keep Daisy. Would he have been happy?

It's in many people's nature to want to become better. achieve more. Whether it means earning more money, having more children, achieving more degrees, having more materially or begin closer to God. Success means something different to each person. Yet once that success is reached, each person will want more.

When I was in the third grade, I looked up to my brother who was in high school. To me, he had "the life". he could go wherever he wanted to when he wanted to. He had his own money. He had a house key. He could go off by himself. he got to toilet paper houses. I wasn't allowed to go to the end of the street on my bike. Little did I know thechallenges I would face when I got to High School.

The secret to dreaming about things is to be content with what you have. We will always be unhappy if we reach for tings we do not have. We can always say "I'll be happy when i have...." This brings on a constant struggle.

Work on being happy with what you have. Not what you don't have.

2 comments:

Travis Butterfield said...

so. how's Life of Pi coming along? Are you liking it??

Travis Butterfield said...

p.s. I linked to your blog. Hope you don't mind.