Friday, January 18, 2008

For the Girls

Girls nights don't happen as often as they used to. It was the highlight of my week when my parents would let my best friends stay overnight. This was between the ages of 8 and 17. We wound read magazines and paint our nails and giggle about boys and the mysteries that their genre of people held.

Once college hit sleepovers like that became a thing of the past. I lived with other girls, so every night could potentially be a sleepover. They never got old, I just got busy.

Sleepovers are important parts of girls lives though. They teach girls the value of girls nights. And every so often we bring them out into the light and remember how much they mean to us.

Women don't usually bring out girls nights for the highlight of their week. They usually are post- boyfriend, post- job, post- anything she considered good in her life, or pre- moving away.

Or a boy doesn't have to dump her for her to feel bad and need a girls night. In fact, she could be the one to mess things up, but still need comfort.

I've recently appreciated times with my girls who were there for me. Once Jen found out I wasn't happy she was at my bedroom door with an assortment of movies (depending on if I was in the mood for funny or romantic, or just plain stupid, or ready for deep thought to get my mind off of things), and take out thai food, and a bear.

Aubrey was there to listen to me, as she always is and which I always appreciate. Aubrey and Amy were there to go to the movies and watch a chick flick with me.

MaryAnn was there to calm me down and put things in perspective.

I'm grateful for my girls, and I hope to have many more sleepovers and movie nights and thai food nights. girl nights.


Thanks girls.

0 comments: