Sunday, September 23, 2007

Bettas


Anxiety
I have two new pets at the office. Shown at left are my red and blue betta fish respectively, Dragon and Munch.
Soo... look at how close the bowls are. Are they too close together?
Reason I'm concerned: My friend Brittney told me about how one of her betta fish jumped into her other betta fish's tank and killed it! I just got these fish and I just don't want them to die. I knew they wouldn't get along. (My boyfriend Matt told me that if two male betta fish are in the same LAKE, they will find each other and have a fish war.)
It makes me wonder who the tougher fish is, Dragon or Munch? I'm NOT testing this out. I'm rather attached to both of them.
So I'm headed to work early tomorrow to clean their tiny bowls (I'm getting bigger ones soon). Hopefully I'm find them both alive and swimming.

Here's Munch- he's my favorite color, blue! he's the smaller of the two, the therefore, a munch.



And here's Dragon. Red Dragon! He's my roommate Aubrey's favorite color!

I've been researching how to care for bettas. Here's some sites that have helped.
http://www.bettafish.com/
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/anabantids2/p/betta.htm
and of course- wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese_Fighting_Fish

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Came across your post by pure chance.

If the male bettas can see each other they rev up to fight. He'll react the same even if its just own reflection.

Too much of it for too long isn't good for them. Stick a book or something between their bowls so they can't see each other and they'll be fine - they probably won't be quite as flared up in terms of fin size and colour, though, when they're just hanging out.

Mine too, btw, are red and blue. :)