Thursday, September 20, 2007

A little bit of luck

I did a nerdy thing today.
I picked up a penny from the ground.
I do that. I pick up pennies that I see on the sidewalk, or the street. I put them in my back pocket and forget about them. At the end of the day I find the forgotten penny and put it in my dish of extra change.
I couldn't tell you of this helps me in any way. There was one time when i lost my debit card and had to scrimp for change to buy food for a couple of days. But most of the change I spent were quarters, dimes and the occaisional nickel.

"See a penny, pick it up
All day long you'll have good luck"

A superstition or a random rhyme? I haven't measured the amount of "luck" I've had on the days when I've picked up pennies. I have a hard time deciphering "luck" from "not luck". I suppose my surprise at the end of the day when I find the penny would constitute as something that makes me marginally happier.

Maybe that's all the penny is needed for- a little bit of luck. Pennies, or pence, or fennig, or pfennig, or a penni (depending on what country you're in) are all 1/100 of that currency. Should pennies bring the picker- upper 1/100th more luck than they otherwise would have had that day?

"Spending a penny" means "to urinate" (thus the word pee). So does having an extra penny help one to ne less constipated later?

Lots of businesses have little change holders for extra pennies. People take them and leave them. And yet there are talks of discontinuing the use fo the penny in the U.S. (http://www.pennies.org/poll_july2002.htm). Will this gradually lead to the run- down 1/100th of luck for the American people? I really doubt it.

But some things are "worth every cent", (like google or the iPhone apparently) don't believe me? google "pennies"...

1 comments:

Travis Butterfield said...

this is very interesting. I never knew that "pee" comes from penny. Very interesting post Kate! Keep 'em coming!