Sunday, September 16, 2007

LDS Institute dedication

Among the talks given at the LDS Institute of religion at ASU, overall message was the importance of secular and religious education being intertwined in order to find truth. President of ASU, Michael Crow noted the changes that had been made to the university in the past few years in order the facilitate secular and religious education side- by- side. he used Thomas Jefferson's gravestone as an example of the importance of standing up for religious freedom. Jefferson understood this principle despite being a deist, and out of the three achievements he put on his gravestone, the last one was the addition of the rights to religious freedom in the constitution.

Elder Henry B. Eyering, an apostle in the LDS church, told the story of his family, and the testimony of his father being a combination of chemistry and God. His father found truth in both, and knew them to be true.

I had a reminder today to be the best I can be in every way. It is easy to work on one part of life at a time and forget the others. I'll work on my spiritual side, and then I'll put that aside to work on my emotional side. I always thought that this was the way I was supposed to do things before tonight. I learned that I should be working on everything simultaneously, always striving to make myself better.

0 comments: